Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mermaids.. myth or reality!



It was midday on a warm Sunday down at the harbour.. what was that?  A glimpse of something colorful splashing in the water out by the boardwalk! Could it be! Yes it was! In Perth mermaids are indeed a reality, I'm sure neither of the signs above apply to mermaids. I confess I did have a whisper in my ear so knew when and where the mermaids would delight us with their presence.. they announce their travel plans via facebook, it's true, facebook is everywhere :) A perfect day for young families on the children's beach and as not many would have known of the aquatic arrival it was so much fun to watch people out in the water doing a double take when the splish of a colourful tail appeared above the water....


It's not so easy for mermaids out of water as they made their way over to the edge of the pontoon to rest and sun themselves after their long journey.....


...before making their way playfully to the shore much to the delight of ...well everyone really, who wouldn't want a cuddle/chat/picture with a mermaid!


 
By the time the mermaids swam into the surf they had well and truly been spotted and a sea of excited little people waited to welcome them.. Mermaid Jessica Pearl below. The wonderful thing about Perth's mermaids is that they do what they do, appearing unexpectedly, a bit like the real deal, on Perth's beaches, delighting young and old just for the pure joy of it. That salty sea water plays havoc with mermaid tails, if tail repairs are necessary they might have a collection. I don't need to tell you that a certain red head very close to me aspires to become a mermaid, she'd be good n'est pas! The mermaids tale.. to be continued. Hope your week has started well, take care.....



22 comments:

  1. I can see the kids going crazy over seeing that in the water! Terrific captures, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea! This would be an exciting thing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yes, real live mermaids - I always did believe in them! Thanks so much for the confirmation Grace!!! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! Very cute. The redhead would make a fine mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet kids were enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the innocence of children so wonderful. Even they know they are not really mermaids, they are still prepared to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it! Aren't they gorgeous creatures? Just more proof that Perth is indeed a magical place:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful!! Great fun for kids and adults too. I'm going to let my friends with kids know, I'm sure they would love to see the mermaids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what you needed after your gardening! What a wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I imagine what kids must feel! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a brilliant idea and how nice that you had inside information from the mermaids themselves. In the know Grace. Way to go! Cheers J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The eccentric Cornish vicar, Rev Stephen Hawker, once dressed as a mermaid to fool the people of Bude. You can read all about it here http://hubpages.com/hub/Undiscovered-Cornwall-Reverend-Hawker-Morwenstow-Tidna-Valley
    I regret that he may not have been so easy on the eye as the Antipodean version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just showed us a real fairy tale! Amazing, so sweet for the kids to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great Grace. Love it. I guess mermaids are real!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really do live in a magical land!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delightful photos, Grace! The mermaids are beautiful and colorful and what great fun for kids of all ages. We have mermaids here, also, at Weeki Watchi - a tourist trap. I've not seen them, though, except in pictures. And they stay underwater, too, by some sort of magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just watched a video of my niece's three yr old saying she wanted to be a mermaid. Her Mom asked her how she would make money to buy a house ?.....and she replied "I would live under the water"

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Lulu. Perth is indeed magical!

    Wasn't Ariel a redhead?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see these charming and captivating Perth mermaids !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea, lovely 'creatures'!

    ReplyDelete