Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sculpture by the Sea III...



Here we are again on Cottesloe beach, you're getting to know it quite well by now aren't you.. would love it if you kept embiggening :)  First a sculpture in bronze by Iraqi born WA artist Ayad Alqaragholli. Like all of his work 'Embrace' has that je ne sais quoi, that wonderful feel of light and gay abandon. His work documents 'what he sees in daily life, paying homage to the importance of the figure in art history'. I feel that this artist has a very lovely outlook on life!


Above the delightful installation called 'Fetch' by Melbourne based duo The Winged Collective.. created in mirrored alucobond, the artist's statement 'they wait for you, ever poised and ever ready to have a stick thrown..their surface reflects the playful nature of those around them'. I really like this one and it's purely by coincidence that this shot included two hunky chaps in the background..really :)


Above, 'Red Centre' by USA artist Carl Billingsley.. composed of red and yellow survey flags the  meaning 'to experience the immediate.. it is ephemeral, sensory, formal, discrete, finite, specific, geometric, mutable, illusory, positive and free'.. you'll get a better overall look at how this piece sits on the beach in weekend reflections.....


'Sea Change' above by WA Artist Tim McFarlane Reid, a combination of corten steel, marine ply and aluminum sits looking over it's fellow sculptures on the beach from the grassy slopes.. 'when moving in a new direction we draw on our past to create a new present.. this shift or change opens up all sorts of new possibilities'.. something to look forward to n'est pas!


If bugs creep you out you may experience a bwaaah shudder :) as you pass 'Insectopia' by WA artist Maria Hildrick.. made up of wire, card, paper pulp, glue, India ink, enamel paint and marine varnish it really is quite beautiful. The artist 'is concerned about how we construct our sense of self, looking to animal and insect communities to explore ideas surrounding belonging, collective behavior and identity'..


Wouldn't you want to reach out and touch this sensuously smooth bronze sculpture above by South Korean artist Seung-Hwan Kim. Called 'Organism'.. the artist explores 'themes of eternity and the organic form in flora and fauna', this work refers to the concept of eternal regression'...


Anyone who has traveled in the Australian outback or worked in a mining town will know what a 'donga' is.. the donga above, more of a beach shack, called 'Our Place' by WA artist Olga Cironis an Australian installation and multidisciplinary artist who explores the link between identity and place by questioning and re-evaluating the impact of history on personal and cultural identity'. Looked right at home here on the pier end of the beach! See the photographer below.. well that's where I ventured, bare footed, slippery rocks, to take the shots I'll show you tomorrow.. life and limb I tell you :) Hope your week is progressing well, take care.....p.s. there was no rain.. 101 days and counting! p.p.s catch up today...



34 comments:

  1. Very colourful and eclectic sculptures, Grace, and what a setting for them.

    The doggie sculpture, of course, is entirely too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace, and the two dogs are just brilliant. As always your photos make for a great virtual visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do SO agree with William and Fruitcake!!! What a fun place to visit!! Of course, I love the doggies!! And what a terrific start for my day!! Thanks for sharing the fun, Grace!! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still so impressed. Fabulous creations. I especially like the photo of the reflective dogs (for a number of reasons :)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Fetch!!! And yep...bwaaaah!!! The bugs creep me out!!! (although, they are interesting!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them all but particularly the dogs - reminds me of the old Disney movie "The Lady & The Tramp" where the 2 dogs shared a spaghetti dinner! Those bugs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic pieces and gorgeous photos, Grace!
    Is there a place in Perth, without stunning sculptures?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a brave soul venturing out on those rocks. I'm not sure I would have done that. I have two favorites in this batch. The first one is great and the last one looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that gorgeous 'embrace' is just temporary? The 'organism' looks like a ray to me! And I actually like the bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed your beach sculpture series. Many creative artists were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen photos of some of the sculptures before some I like others I think are hidious. Nice work by you though

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures are better than the 'artists' explanations......

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that smooth, bronze sculpture...it's very sensuous and yet calming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that first shot, Grace, awww, so "light"!
    Aww, well, I had to endure bugs in your country way worse than this! :-) Way worse, gahh.
    A donga... we lived in the car ;-) 6 months does count for "living", no? Your home is wherevever you want to be (given you have the money for gas and food).
    Rain expected for the weekend (here: sadly). Would love to send it over to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I like the bugs best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Embrace is a joyful winner, and Organism (checked that a few times) is, as you write, an intriguing sensuous form. And, wouldn't it be great to make Our Place your place?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the flags, they resemble a field of tulips. I do love the bronze and I wouldn't mind having one of those bugs for my yard. Be careful on those rocks, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a dog lover, I will have to go with the second image :D

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  19. Insectopia is the winner for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All a bit overwhelming - your very own beach museum. I like the first shot very much - the framing is perfect.

    I have to pull up a map of Perth so I can figure out what's where in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, love them all but for very different reasons! The buggy one fascinates me:) I just want to touch that tactile bronze and of course I love those pooches!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'Organism' just like the seaweed I was handling yesterday, 'Fetch' is cute (so the seaweed & the hunks are not 'sculpture'?). 'Insectopia' made me smile. WE HAD RAIN THIS MORNING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots. You managed to get a much better shot of the dogs than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Golly - what amazing artworks Grace. I think Insectopedia has to take the prize in this series although it is far too hard to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Since we're voting, I'll have to go with "organism". But they're all really inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1, 2 and last are my choice. The first is really joyful , and the dogs are really funny! I've seen a statue like N°3 in Trasbourg and like this kind of equilibrium.
    Great bunch of art!

    ReplyDelete
  27. There are some fabulous sculptures here. I enjoyed looking at others in the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Honey! I love my visits with you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So much fantastic contemporary ART you have DOWN UNDER.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The first is magic, I like this initiative! Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  31. C'est toujours un plaisir de retrouver d'année en années ton reportage de sculpture by The sea . Et la lumière est si belle....

    ReplyDelete